Welcome to our musings...

Welcome to our blog! This blog started from a seedling of an idea between three Filipina-American women who crossed paths in Oakland, CA and has grown into a journey that we're now sharing with you all. We hope to celebrate our Filipina-American experiences through short stories, photos, videos, and all kinds of deliciousness. In no way do we claim to represent "THE" Filipina/o-American perspective but can only speak for ourselves. We bring to the table our three different, yet somehow connected, and raw perspectives as we go through this exploration together. Join us!

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Why is GSM Here?!?

I have an on again/off again relationship with writing, so when the idea of starting a blog dedicated to Filipino American issues came up with my friends/co-workers Beverly and Michelle, I had mixed feelings towards the project. I am usually the first to endorse any creative or artistic pursuit, just as long as it doesn't have anything to do with me.

But then I thought about the great conversations I've had with Beverly, Michelle, and some of my other friends about our experiences growing up Filipino American, and how I usually come away from these casual talks not only feeling a sense of camaraderie, but also feeling like, in that moment, I got to know myself just a little bit better. However, these discussions aren't usually planned. They usually happen sporadically, on a lunch break or in transit on the way home.

Writing/blogging is a way to capture and discuss our thoughts and stories about a worthy topic...ourselves. And for purely selfish reasons, I would like to take some time (time I haven't in the past made for myself) to explore and reflect on my identity, culture, and community.

You see, I grew up in a predominantly white city and neighborhood, and for better or worse, that environment influenced me quite a bit. Like most teens, I made my attempts to conform and rebel at the same time. I had a few Filipino and Asian friends, but for the most part, I was in the land of the white folk. In high school, I did not want to be another "Asian nerd," so I gave up my quest for good grades and college (real smart, eh?). While I did not completely deny my Filipino identity, there weren't many incentives out there (at least none that I acknowledged at the time) for me to embrace it. Needless to say, I feel quite differently nowadays, as I've grown more mature, and have opened my eyes to the richness of my mother culture.

So I thank Beverly and Michelle for inviting me to be a part of this endeavor, and I would like to welcome you here too. Thanks for listening and joining the conversation. Perhaps we can get to know one an other (as well as ourselves) a little bit better.

2 comments:

  1. I had a similar upbringing- Asian in the "land of the white folk", and struggling against the nerd stereotype (but not very hard- I mean c'mon, I play the violin!)... It took a college trip to China in to get me interested in the Asian side of my life, and I'm still exploring it. Looking forward to comparing notes with you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @sloejoe: It's great to hear from you! It's strangely comforting to know that there are others who grew up within a similar background AND played the violin (Beverly and I took lessons too)! Ah, the days of carrying it onto the school bus! As this blog develops, I hope you'll feel free to share your unique perspective. So glad you're on this journey with us!

    ReplyDelete